Saturday 3 May 2014

Wild winds

I changed my mind.
my favourite weather isn't rain.
it's wind, without a shadow of a doubt.

Wind which blasts a smile onto your face and blows your limbs into dancing, whips away your voice and swirls it into song. Wing which stings you with rain or snow or sand and yet you grin. Or at least, I do.

I stand on the rocks at the edge of the surf laughing into the gale and singing at the top of my voice out of tune, watching the rolling stacks of waves have their foam blown off the tips and into arcs of white rainbow reaching back towards the sky. I make up terrible songs about how glorious I feel and spin around until i collapse into the grass. I open my jacket and lean foward as much as possible, letting the wind hold me up. I run from high place to high place, swinging my arms and shouting like I'm in the Sound of Music (or a more exciting version). I coax my dog into sprinting beside me for a few strides, then he wanders off and I laugh and grin for the saake of laughing and grinning and I am just so happy I don't care that there's a few fancy houses along the headland which probably think I'm crazy.

Those are some of the moments I live for. And so now I'm back inside and I should be working on some shitty geography assignment due tomorrow but i don't care. I don't care because I don't need some high-income job or some fancy degree, I just need a few people I love and a bit of open space, enough for the wind to whip up and take me away.

No comments:

Post a Comment